[Live-devel] Can openRTSP be used for real time playing

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 12 14:42:14 PDT 2008

>Can openRTSP be used (provided I am doing necessary coding to take
>the video frames from the file sink and giving them to the decoder).

Yes, you can give "openRTSP" the "-v" option (meaning: write video to
'stdout'), and the pipe it into your decoder (running as a separate
application).

>As I am finding in playCommon.cpp "unsigned const thresh = 1sec"
>(too huge)  before the line
>subsession->rtpSource()->setPacketReorderingThresholdTime(thresh);
>I think if I make unsigned const thresh = 1000 millisec (say). i can
>play thing in real time
>Am I right in this sense.

No, this is probably a red herring.  That threshold time applies only
when RTP packets get reordered in the network - a rare occurrence.
In the normal case (no packet reordering), packet data is delivered
as soon as it arrives.