[Live-devel] Payload matters

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 23 10:25:57 PDT 2008

>Just a simple question : is it possible to receive RTP packets with
>a SimpleRTPSource for instance, without precising any payload?

No - not with the current code.

However, you could use a "BasicUDPSource", which will receive the
whole UDP payload, including all RTP headers.

> From wath I understand, giving a payload suppose that we already
> know the kind of the media we are receiving (mp3, mpeg2ts, ...).

Yes, but the payload format also specifies
- whether there are any special headers (after the common RTP headers), and
- whether/how a single video frame has been fragmented over multiple
RTP packets

>Am I missing something anywhere ?

See above :-)

	Ross Finlayson