[Live-devel] live555MediaServer performance: 95 stream max per process

Marco Amadori amadorim at vdavda.com
Mon Mar 17 07:40:35 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I tried live555MediaServer from 1.19.2008 tarball on a debian sid (both i386
and amd64) on 2 different IBM servers.

With both hardware and with kernels 2.6.22 and 2.6.24 I found that I cannot
cross the 95 contemporary MPEG2 streams limit (4.5 Mbps) without having
visual artifacts. *

On machine "A" I thought it was a hardware issue since "iostat" were reporting
a 100% IO utilization. I the tried machine B founding the same issues and
limits but with lower than 70% IO on a bigger machine.

Then I tried to launch live555MediaServer also from root and the machine
handled another 95 streams for a total of 190.

So it seems to be a strange threading or concurrency problem, anyone tried to
spot how many streams can serve a live555MediaServer system?

Does anyone knows how to push these limits (or fix those bugs) further?

A: dualcore Xeon 3Ghz RAID5 on 3 SAS 10k + 2Gb Mem
B: dual dualcore Xeon 2.2 Ghz RAID5 on 6 SAS 15k + 5Gb Mem

* Test is just ascript launching some openRTSP client to /dev/null of
different video clips and watching the result on another one on a different
machine.
--
ESC:wq