[Live-devel] live555MediaServer performance: 95 stream max per process

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 17 15:11:52 PDT 2008

>So it seems to be a strange threading or concurrency problem

Unlikely, because the LIVE555 code is single-threaded.

You're clearly running into a resource limit; the question now is:
Which resource?  Because your 95-stream limit seems to be happening
per process (rather than machine-wide), the first thing I would look
at is increasing the maximum number of open files (sockets) per
process.  Linux has a way to increase this (I'm not sure of the
details, though).

Of course, down the road you need to also consider running into
limits of network bandwidth and/or file system bandwidth.