[Live-devel] Multicast streaming over several channels

Tonje Fredrikson tonjefr at ifi.uio.no
Fri Mar 28 14:14:28 PDT 2008

Hi,

I would like to experiment with a scheduling algorithm for video
multicasting. The algorithm is based on dividing a video into several
segments, each multicasted through a separate channel (port). I have
recently been looking into the live555 library as part this work for my
master thesis.

My goal right now is to:
- Open a file with several file descriptors, each pointing to a separate
segment of the movie.
- Set up several channels, one for each segment of the movie.
- Multicast each segment of the movie at different bandwidths.

The current file format I have worked with is MPEG2. So far I have
attempted to try streaming the same file over two channels (or, four, one
for video and one for audio, opening the same file twice) by adding extra
Ports and corresponding RTPSinks (which gives me a seg.fault which I have
not yet investigated the cause of - crashes when calling
rtpSink->startPlaying()).

Does anyone have experience with anything similar? Is there any support in
live555 that I have not seen that enables this type of functionality? If
no, does anyone have hints or suggestions to what classes should be
modified (or added) to add such functionality?

I want to mention that this is my first experience working directly with
media streams, hence I am new to a lot of the terminology. Do not hesitate
to ask me if there is anything that is unclear.

Thanks for any input that might be of help,

Best regards,

Tonje Fredrikson