[Live-devel] Connections not closed

Sigismondo Boschi s.boschi at totalwire.it
Mon May 5 09:37:00 PDT 2008

> -           The Teardown operation is executed perfectly: I obtain the
> correct reply from the client (RTSP/1.0 200 ok). But during the
> teardown- request I find a problem in server request, concerning a
> possible “TCP checksum offload” (observed it with Wireshark program).
Ciao Ambra,

This is quite typical with wireshark - here is the official explanation:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/TCP_checksum_offload

So simply don't care of it: I think TCP would not work at all without
the correct checksums... or maybe a broken card/config is your problem
(but then, it would be curious how the communication is initiated)!

> -           Then, I control the state of the network using the command
> “netstat –na” and find that a connection between client and server on
> TCP remains in “TIME_WAIT” state, for a few minutes…
>
> So, is this behaviour normal/correct? If not, what could be the problem?
TIME_WAIT is normal: after a connection is closed TCP stays in
time-wait from (30?) seconds to a couple of minutes (depends on the
platform) to make sure all the stuff related to the connection is gone
on both sides. You do not need to care of it except the number of
TIME_WAITs become enormous, that is, you open/close connections very
quickly (once I did hit the limit just with a 1000+ nodes clusters with
one node connecting to all the others with ssh, repetitively...)

So, after all, what is the problem? What isn't working - since you are
not using "-t"?

Regards,

    Sigismondo Boschi

Sigismondo Boschi, PhD                     TotalWire S.r.l.
s.boschi at totalwire.it                      http://www.totalwire.it
cell: +39 346 7911896                      tel:  +39 051 302696