[Live-devel] MP4 Streaming

Jayant Chauhan gripened at gmail.com
Wed May 7 23:22:41 PDT 2008

Hey,
I am new to RTSP and streaming as such.
After going through some stuff, I realized that to support
seeking in a streaming server/client setup, we need to use RTSP.
So for that livemedia (live555) seems to be the best place to start with
right?

 Now for my query, I am using Darwin Streaming Server as my server for MP4
streams. Now what I want to do is use live555 for my client. I started off
with the
openRTSP test program. It seems to work ok-okish. There seems to be problems
concerned with the media format support. The faulty scenarios are like :

1. If I use openRTSP to receive files (and to write the output to an MP4
file), the audio isn't there at times, though it has been stored.
2. The server sends a MEDIA NOT SUPPORTED reply to the DESCRIPTION request,
after
which the connection is closed -  And this happens for most of the MP4
files. Is there a work around for this?

What I want to do is just receive the stream and pass it to my MP4 parser.
And let it handle any inconsistencies? So the flow intended is :
    i. Get the decoder initialization information (media initializations
etc), which can be done through SDP right?
  ii. Create two receivers for Audio and Video, and then just write the
audio and video frames to their respective buffers.

Is there an easier way to implement MP4 files streaming server/client which
does not depend on the media (audio and video) type support ? Any kinda
pointer would be deeply appreciated.

looking forward to the replies :D

sincerely
Jayant