[Live-devel] Using liveMedia for DV recording and streaming

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sun May 11 11:46:32 PDT 2008

I am the primary developer of DVswitch, a live software mixer for DV.
It currently implements a TCP server with a simple custom protocol for
sinks and sources to send and receive streams.

We intend to replace this with a more flexible, preferably standard,
protocol, and to make sources and sinks into server daemons that the
mixer connects to as a client.  It appears that RTSP and RTP support
this, though it's less clear whether liveMedia does.

Clearly we would need to add support for the DV format.  How difficult
is this likely to be?  RFC 3189 specifies how to use DV in RTP, so we
don't need to decide that ourselves.

We also want to be able to have the mixer initiate recording of a
stream, presumably using the RECORD command.  It doesn't look like
live555MediaServer supports this.  Is it likely to be difficult for us
to add this?  Is there an alternative way of starting remote recording
of a stream that might be easier?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein