[Live-devel] Using liveMedia for DV recording and streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun May 11 19:41:38 PDT 2008

>Clearly we would need to add support for the DV format.  How difficult
>is this likely to be?  RFC 3189 specifies how to use DV in RTP, so we
>don't need to decide that ourselves.

Yes, you would need to implement new classes "DVRTPSink" (for
sending) and "DVRTPSource" (for receiving) - which would be
subclasses of "MultiFramedRTPSink" and "MultiFramedRTPSource"
(respectively).  (Note the several examples of similar subclasses in
the code.)

>We also want to be able to have the mixer initiate recording of a
>stream, presumably using the RECORD command.  It doesn't look like
>live555MediaServer supports this.

No, because "RECORD" - while described in the RTSP 1.0 specification,
was never widely implemented (and was removed from the subsequent
RTSP 2.0 specification), so we didn't bother implementing it in our
RTSP server code.  (We do implement it in our RTSP client code; I'm
not sure why :-)

I haven't thought much about what it would take to implement the RTSP
"RECORD" command, but I suspect it would be non-trivial, because it
would involve adding some functionality normally found in RTSP
clients to the RTSP server code...