[Live-devel] Trick play with scrambled content

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu May 15 17:25:54 PDT 2008

>The file is parsable for I frames and actually the indexing works.
>The index file (.tsx) is approximately the same size as the clear
>.tsx file and the stream captured during trick play testing seems to
>be about the right size but looks like it does not have the
>transport stream scramble codes set (all have been reset) and does
>not contain any ECMs (packets required for decryption at the
>client). Is it possible to deliver the I frames from the main asset
>exactly as is i.e. the original TS packets from "within" the I frame
>including ECMs and with original scramble codes?

No, because our code has no idea what any of this other stuff is.  We
generate a 'trick play' stream by extracting the I-frame data (only;
i.e., with no audio or anything else), and then repackaging this
I-frame data into a new Transport Stream.

It seems to me that if you want to use our indexing/trick-play code
'as is' you will need to recode your data so that the decryption
information is somehow hidden inside the I-frame data (so that, to
our MPEG parsing code, it looks just like normal I-frame data), and
then have a separate filter - at the receiving end - that transforms
the bogus I-frame data into real I-frame+decryption information data.

The alternative would be to modify our indexing/trick-play code to
(somehow) index/extract your decryption information in addition to
the I-frame data.  In that case though, you would be totally on your
own...