[Live-devel] Using liveMedia for DV recording and streaming

Ben Hutchings ben at decadent.org.uk
Sun May 18 12:49:11 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 19:41 -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> >Clearly we would need to add support for the DV format.  How difficult
> >is this likely to be?  RFC 3189 specifies how to use DV in RTP, so we
> >don't need to decide that ourselves.
>
> Yes, you would need to implement new classes "DVRTPSink" (for
> sending) and "DVRTPSource" (for receiving) - which would be
> subclasses of "MultiFramedRTPSink" and "MultiFramedRTPSource"
> (respectively).  (Note the several examples of similar subclasses in
> the code.)

Thanks for the pointer.

> >We also want to be able to have the mixer initiate recording of a
> >stream, presumably using the RECORD command.  It doesn't look like
> >live555MediaServer supports this.
>
> No, because "RECORD" - while described in the RTSP 1.0 specification,
> was never widely implemented (and was removed from the subsequent
> RTSP 2.0 specification), so we didn't bother implementing it in our
> RTSP server code.  (We do implement it in our RTSP client code; I'm
> not sure why :-)
>
> I haven't thought much about what it would take to implement the RTSP
> "RECORD" command, but I suspect it would be non-trivial, because it
> would involve adding some functionality normally found in RTSP
> clients to the RTSP server code...

OK.  Perhaps we could have sinks listen for unsolicited RTP streams, and
have the mixer be an RTP server that "pushes" to them.  The sink hosts
and ports would be specified in the mixer configuration.  Do you think
this could work?  Would the liveMedia library support (ab)using the
protocol in this way?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.