[Live-devel] RTP extension header

Tonje Fredrikson tonjefr at ifi.uio.no
Mon May 26 10:39:38 PDT 2008

Thank you very much for your thorough replies. They are highly
appreciated!

>>More detailed: I am using live555 to stream an MPEG2 TS file, purposely
sending the RTP packets out of order.  I am looking for a way to (buffer
and) reassemble the packets on the client side.

> Our receiving software does this automatically!!  You don't need to
write any new software to get this.

My apologies for being unclear in my attempt to keep the email short and
simple. It is more correct to say that the payload is out of order, and I
am trying to find a way to modify the RTP packets so they are reflecting
what should be the correct order.

I am looping a segment of a TS file as part of my work on trying to
implement a Pyramidic type scheduling algorithm for multicasting video on
demand. For this I have created my own little subclass of
ByteStreamFileSource providing the looping functionality without having to
restart an entire RTP sink or reopen the file.

To avoid that the start of an iteration is added into the middle of an RTP
packet, is there a way to force the sink to send out the current buffer so
that the next TS packet will be added first in the next RTP packet?

Again, sorry for the confusion, and thank you for helpful replies.

Best regards,
Tonje Fredrikson