[Live-devel] Streaming data from DSS to some other client

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon May 26 22:30:16 PDT 2008

>Hi!
>I'm new to using live555 and just figured out how to make things run using it.
>I wanted to know that when i run openRTSP.exe and make the video
>file to be streamed from Darwin Streaming Server, using the -r -p
><port number> option, is it possible to transfer the video to some
>other client, maybe VLC or some other softphone that supports MPEG-4
>(if I mention that applications port number in "-p field").

You don't need to 'transfer' the video to VLC - instead, just play it
from VLC.  VLC supports "rtsp://" URLs. so just open the stream
directly from VLC.

(If, however, you are asking if "openRTSP" can be used as a 'RTSP
proxy', then the answer is no.)

>Another thing that I would like to ask is that is is possible to
>stream the data on some other machine, with a different IP that the
>one  running openRTSP?

No.  The server (DSS in your case) would not support such a request
from the client, because it could be used for a denial-of-service
attack.