[Live-devel] mp3 sdp question

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue May 27 11:12:05 PDT 2008

>I'd like to stream mp3 with livemedia, but I have a question about
>the sdp string. I want to send information such as sampling
>frequency and channels number to the client so that the client can
>work correctly, but the mpeg1or2audiortpsink doesn't have parameters
>to pass these information, how can I put these into the sdp?

You can't - and you don't need to.  For MPEG-1 or 2 audio (which
includes 'MP3'), the audio frames are 'self-describing', which means
that the sampling frequency and number of channels are part of the
audio frame data (specifically, the MPEG audio header within the
frame).  Therefore, these parameters are not transmitted separately
within the RTP packets, or in the SDP description.

>  Or the client can get these information from the frames data by itself?

Yes, see above.

Note that our software can already be used to stream MP3 audio (using
"live555MediaServer" or "testOnDemandRTSPServer" for unicast
transmission, or "testMP3Streamer" for multicast transmission).  You
don't need to write any more code to do this!