[Live-devel] live555 library reading streams from WMS (Windows Media Server)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue May 27 14:05:35 PDT 2008

>Folks:
>             Do any of you have any experience getting the live555
>library to work exchanging video (especially reading from) a WMS
>(Windows Media Server)?
>
>             I've encountered a bug with VLC, which is using the
>live555 library to read video for rtsp, and though it mostly works,
>it fails to handle end-of-stream issues correctly.

For the hundred billionth time: Windows Media Server is not standards
compliant.  You cannot expect *any* standards-compliant media player
client (like VLC or QuickTime Player) to work with it.  If you want
to use VLC as a client, you should use another server.

If Windows Media Server does not signal end-of-stream correctly
(using RTCP "BYE"), then that's certainly not a bug in VLC.