[Live-devel] Zero-copy RTP server?

Chris Wein cwein at mobilygen.com
Tue May 27 21:27:24 PDT 2008

I have not looked at the livemedia code in depth but my impression is
that it is not easy to do a true zero-copy RTP server on linux.  I have
a zero copy stack for raw UDP using an ethernet controller with h/w
checksum and scatter-gather DMA (transmit gathers the header and the
payload separately from different addresses) but I am assuming that the
live libraries have at least one copy to combine the RTP header and the
payload.  Is this impression correct?  If so do people think that the
live libraries are a good place to start to implement a zero copy server
with the ethernet controller doing gather of udp header, rtp header, and
payload?  Presumably this means running most of the stack in kernel
rather than in user.