[Live-devel] TR: Trick Play support on MPEG 4 Video Streams

jon chambers clhosting at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 03:03:19 PST 2008

Hello Ross --

I am curious if this has ever been implemented?

Trick Play
MPEG-TS containing H.264

I have installed the newest version 2008.11.13.
Seeking does not work for me so I am curious if it has been implemented and I need to check my file or if it has not yet been added.

Regards,
Jon

Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 22:26:33 -0700To: live-devel at ns.live555.comFrom: finlayson at live555.comSubject: Re: [Live-devel] TR: Trick Play support on MPEG 4 Video Streams

Although it does not appear explicitly on your web site, do you support Trick Play on H.264 AVC video streams?

Our RTSP server implementation supports 'trick play' when streaming from some (but not all) types of file.  What type of file are you interested in streaming from?  (Don't say "a H.264 file", because there's no such thing :-)

If you are interested in streaming from a MPEG Transport Stream file whose content is H.264 video (rather than the usual MPEG-2 video), then no, we do not currently support this.  The reason for this is that our 'trick play' (fast forward and reverse play) implementation works by selecting only video 'I-frames' from the Transport Stream file - and this currently assumes that the video is MPEG-2 only.

However, I will shortly be updating our MPEG Transport Stream index file/'trick play' support, so if you have an example of the type of file that you wish to support, then please put it on a web server and send us a link (URL) to it, so we can download it and use it in our testing.--

Ross FinlaysonLive Networks, Inc.http://www.live555.com/