[Live-devel] Where are TS PCR's decoded?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 19 22:01:29 PST 2008

Our software does not 'decode' MPEG Transport Stream data at all.  It
never modifies any part of a Transport Stream (including the PCR
timestamp).

Our software uses Transport Stream's PCR timestamps in only two places:
	1/ When we are creating an index file (the timestamps help
tell us where to 'seek by time')
	2/ When we are transmitting Transport Stream data via RTP (or
raw UDP).  To do this, our "MPEG2TransportStreamFramer" class reads
the PCR timestamps to figure out how long to delay after sending each
outgoing packet.

Our software does not look at PCR timestamps at all when *receiving*
streamed Transport Stream data.