[Live-devel] RTP sink to serial

Paul Clark paul at packetship.com
Thu Nov 20 01:41:25 PST 2008

Yedidia Amit wrote:
> I want to to send RTP packets (RTP header + payload after
> packetization) to a serial port.
>
> From my experience with Live I figure that using socket_pair will be a
> good solution.
>
> In that way I will be able to use the current code to send the data
> into the socket, and on the other side I will write some listener that
> will recv from the socket and   transmit it using the serial port.

Just a random thought, which might save you having to have this
IP-to-serial conversion process...  I don't know whether you've got
control of the other end of the serial line, but could you not just set
up a SLIP interface and send the RTP over that?   The Live555 code would
just see it as a normal IP interface.  You'd need to do this at both
ends, but you could then have a standard UDP socket listener at the
receiver end to receive the RTP packets.

On Linux, see `man slattach` and
http://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=red_hat_linux7&seqNum=62

Even if you couldn't do this at the remote end, SLIP is a really simple
protocol which you could implement yourself - see:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1055

Regards

Paul
--