[Live-devel] Multicasting and Live555 Media Server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 21 09:55:51 PST 2008

>1.	What use , if any, of multicasting is made by the Live555 Media Server?

None - the "LIVE55 Media Server" streams via unicast only.

If you want to stream via multicast, use one of the "test*Streamer"
demo applications in the "testProgs" directory.

However, your bigger problem is the following:

>2.	We are trying to run both pre-built and locally built
>versions of Live555 media server on an Intel x86 machine on Centos
>5.2.  When we execute the "live555MediaServer" command, we get a
>return showing 0.0.0.0 as the RTSP address: Play streams from this
>server using the URL <rtsp://0.0.0.0/>rtsp://0.0.0.0/<filename>.

This shows that there's a problem (unknown) with your network
interface, because both methods that we use to find the computer's IP
address are failing:
1/ Sending a multicast packet, receiving it, then looking at its
source address, and
2/ Calling "gethostname()" followed by "gethostbyname()".

Your first step should be to make sure that multicast is configured
properly - i.e., make sure you have a route for 224.0.0/4.