[Live-devel] RTCP Bye in PassiveServerMediaSession

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 17 11:44:14 PDT 2008

As I noted in my last message, you can use the existing RTSP client
mechanism (using "openRTSP" as a model) to
1/ Detect when a stream has ended - using *either* RTCP "BYE* packets
coming from the server, *or* (if the server keeps the stream open,
without sending a "BYE") using the stream duration (obtained from the
SDP description), and
2/ When the stream has ended, send a RTSP "TEARDOWN" command, which
will cause the server to reclaim any state associated with the stream
(if it didn't already do so), and
3/ Open/play the next stream, using RTSP

If you do this, you don't need to make *any* changes to existing
servers (e.g., "live555MediaServer") - plus, your client could, if it
wished, play streams from many different servers.

(This will be my last posting on this topic. Also, because you use a
"@gmail.com" email address, any future postings from you will be moderated.)

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>