[Live-devel] Implementing SET_PARAMETER and GET_PARAMETER

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 31 15:11:31 PDT 2008

>Ross you had suggested that I perhaps start by implementing a new
>virtual method on RTSPServer for SET_PARAMETER.
>
>I looked into doing this in the code and I realized that RTSPServer
>doesn't actually handle most of the commands for each session
>instance, it's RTSPServer::RTSPClientSession which is a private
>member class of RTSPServer.
>So it looks like I'll have to at the least make RTSPClientSession
>protected and provide a virtual constructor method to RTSPServer to
>create a new RTSPClientSession (or derived class) from
>RTSPServer::incomingRequestHandler1
>
>I think I'll then need to virtualize all the handleCmd_* methods (or
>at least the GET/SET_PARAMETER ones) in RTSPClientSession so  that
>derived  classes  can do there own thing here.
>
>Does this sound something like what you were thinking Ross or were
>you thinking of something else?

It depends on which object's state you want to update as a result of
the "SET_PARAMETER" operation.

If you want to update the state of the "RTSPClientSession" object,
then yes, you'd probably need to add a virtual function to
"RTSPClientSession".

If, however, you want to update the state of the "RTSPServer" object
only, then you could probably do this by writing a generic
implementation of "SET_PARAMETER" for "RTSPClientSession" that calls
a new virtual function in "fOurServer" ("RTSPServer").

And if you want to update the state of the "ServerMediaSubsession"
object, then you would have even more work to do.