[Live-devel] [live-devel]: Question on rate control in Live555

anil s anilanilg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 00:55:05 PDT 2008

Hi,

This is my first mail to the list. Thanks a lot before you read the mail.

I had some problem streaming a file which is generated by another server.
The server that i have generates PCRs at rate of every 80-100 ms but however
the
PCRs do not indicate the correct bit rate i.e say if the difference between
successive PCR values is
100ms then amount of data between those PCRs does not correspond to 100ms.

The server simply streams the frames as and when they are generated and does
not has any mechanism of rate control.

If I capture the stream and try streaming the same file using Live555 the
video does not play out smoothly.
The client runs on a PC.

 As a experiment i calculated the differences between the PCRs and the RTP
time stamps at that particular instant.
I see that these differences do not match. Say if the difference between
PCRs is 100ms then the difference between
RTP timestamps goes upto 220ms.

Could you please tell me as to how the live555 decides at what rate it is
going to stream out a given file. Does the Live555 determine the rate by
looking at the PCR values in the file.

Thanks,
Anil S