[Live-devel] Filter chain question - chain seems to stall

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Sep 10 14:43:51 PDT 2008

>Just a note about the MultiFramedRTPSource class we're using. The
>first time doGetNextFrame() is called, it starts the network read
>handler. This handler continues to run, pulling packets off the
>network and buffering them

This is reinventing the wheel.  The operating system already buffers
incoming packets, and does so at least as efficiently as you could do
yourself in user space.  (You might need to increase the OS's buffer
size, but you can do this easily (see the FAQ).)

Please don't modify the existing "MultiFramedRTPSource" code.  By
doing so, you're not only wasting your time, but you won't be able to
get any support for it on this mailing list.

	Ross Finlayson
	Live Networks, Inc. (LIVE555.COM)
	<http://www.live555.com/>