[Live-devel] H.264 NAL confusion

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Apr 3 08:38:40 PDT 2009

>After tonight, I'm convinced something is wrong with my SDP stuff.
>I fired up Wireshark to see the traffic between my transmitting
>application and VLC, and I don't see the SDP stuff anywhere in the
>bitstream.  Would it be contained in the RTP packets, or the RTCP
>packets?

No, the SDP description is returned in the response to RTSP's
"DESCRIBE" command.  (You can see this by running "openRTSP" on your
server; you don't need to run 'wireshark' to see this.)

>The other thing I don't understand is I see other people using the
>string "h264" for the sprop string in the framer

Why are people doing this?  This is completely bogus.  The
"sprop_parameter_sets_str" parameter to
"H264VideoRTPSink::createNew()" *must* be a string formed by
Base-64-encoding the SPS and PPS NAL units, and concatenating them
with ",".

>  I'm definitely confused about how RTSP, RTP and SDP all operate together

To use this software, you need to be familiar with these protocols.