[Live-devel] Multicast to RTSP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Apr 9 18:06:12 PDT 2009

>I've been trying to setup multicast to rtsp server for some time now.
>However, I find difficulties. My idea is to modify
>testOnDemandRTSPServer to read from stdin (which i did successfully)

Don't forget to also set the "reuseFirstSource" variable to "True".

>and use something like this mcas2stdout $mcast_group $port |
>testOnDemandRTSPServer. I use VLC to stream to the multicast group.
>When I try "cat file.ts | testOnDemandRTSPServer"

Note, you don't need to use "cat" here.  Instead, use
	testOnDemandRTSPServer < file.ts

>all works like a
>charm. When I start streaming file.ts with VLC (prefer UDP over RTP)
>and "mcast2stdout | testOnDemandRTSPServer" i see nothing. My
>mutlicast reading program works.

Does the following work:

mcast2stdout > test.ts
testOnDemandRTSPServer (using the original, unmodified code)

If not, then there's a problem with your "mcast2stdout" application.

If this does work, then try the following:

mcast2stdout > file.ts
testOnDemandRTSPServer < file.ts (using your new, modified code)

>My concern is that i probably need to "unpacket" whatever is comming
>from the multicast group and then send it to
>stdout/testOnDemandRTSPServer.

No.  If the incoming data really is MPEG Transport Stream data, then
you should be able to pipe it directly into your modifiled
"testOnDemandRTSPServer".