[Live-devel] Switching between multiple streams of same file encoded at different bitrates

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Apr 12 22:17:23 PDT 2009

>I am trying to build an RTSP client based on the
><http://live555.com>live555.com libraries that has the ability to
>switch between multiple streams of the same file encoded at
>different bitrates. For example, using RTSP STOP and PLAY requests
>to stop one stream and play the other lower bitrate version at the
>same point using random access. I was wondering if anyone could tell
>me if this is possible

Certainly.  Have several files; one for each bitrate that you want
(with the bitrate included in the file's name somehow).  Then the
client can switch to a different bitrate by (i) doing a "TEARDOWN" on
the original stream, then (ii) doing a "DESCRIBE", "SETUP", and
"PLAY" on the new stream (with the new file name).  The "PLAY"
request can include (as the start time) the play time that you had
reached with the previous stream.

>  and if so, what files in the <http://live555.com>live555.com
>libraries I would need to change to make it happen.

You don't need to change anything (provided, of course, that the file
type already supports seeking).