[Live-devel] Why the RTP receiving stops?

Catherine Cheng chengchengxin at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 09:12:15 PDT 2009

Ross,
I wrote my own RTSP client. I use the RTSP url the IP camera provides, like "rtsp://192.168.1.187/rtsp_tunnel" to talk to the IP cam. It's RTP over TCP. I use HTTP to send the RTSP commands. I have a question: do I need a special RTP port for RTP/TCP communication instead of HTTP port 80? After I send RTSP command SETUP, I'm able to receive RTP data wrapped in '$' signed TCP packet. But I cannot receive more after tens of RTP packets (total about 10KB data). Why does the IP cam stop sending me data? Do I need some extra RTP port for the RTP/TCP channel?
-Cath

>I'm receiving H.263+ (H.263 1998) data from IP camera through
>RTP/TCP channel. After sending RTSP "PLAY" command, I start receiving
>data. But after I receive several video frames (tens of RTP packets), I
>cannot read any RTP data, i.e. I receive socket reading error
>(timeout). Why does it happen? Any pointer will be appreciated.

Which RTSP client(s) are you using?  You should first try a known
working RTSP client - first "openRTSP", then VLC.