[Live-devel] Source, Frames and Parsers

Michael Braitmaier braitmaier at hlrs.de
Mon Aug 17 01:02:52 PDT 2009

Hi everyone!

I am trying to work with live555/liveMedia for a while now, however I
still have a problem of conceptually understand the relationship between
several classes in the library.
My goal is to write a small application that instanciates a subclass of
DeviceSource and then  pass it on to a subclass of MultiFramedRTPSink
for RTP streaming.
So far my understanding from looking at examples was that the sink
triggers a call to getNextFrame() on the source, as also explained in
the FAQ.

However I am still unclear on how stream parsers fit into this and for
what purpose?

Furthermore if I implement my deliverFrame function for the DeviceSource
and my received frame exceeds the fMaxSize, I would truncate the frame
and set fNumTruncatedBytes accordingly,
however when would I pass on the remaining bytes of the frame? In the
next call to deliverFrames?

Thanks in advance.
Michael Braitmaier