[Live-devel] Source, Frames and Parsers

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Aug 17 01:16:02 PDT 2009

>However I am still unclear on how stream parsers fit into this and
>for what purpose?

Assuming that your data input class (derived from the "DeviceSource"
code) delivers discrete audio or video frames (i.e., one frame at a
time), then you won't need a 'stream parser' at all.  (As the name
suggests, a 'stream parser' is used only for parsing byte streams.)

>Furthermore if I implement my deliverFrame function for the
>DeviceSource and my received frame exceeds the fMaxSize, I would
>truncate the frame and set fNumTruncatedBytes accordingly,
>however when would I pass on the remaining bytes of the frame?

No, if data gets truncated like this, then the rest of the data never
gets delivered.  Therefore, you should try to make sure that data
doesn't get truncated - by giving the sink object a sufficiently
large buffer to begin with,