[Live-devel] multiple instances of live555 library

Jerry Johns Jerry.Johns at nuvation.com
Mon Aug 24 15:08:36 PDT 2009

The LiveMedia library uses the magical world of select(), which allows
for monitoring multiple file handle descriptors (or in this case,
sockets) to monitor for incoming/outgoing data.

By blocking on this select() call, an event loop can process multiple
socket handles in a single execution context, effectively giving the
impression of multi-threaded behaviour.

LiveMedia has a scheduler that you registers a function callback with a
specific socket handle. A basic pseudo code would be:

loop:

{

select(descriptor set) --> Blocking call

for each SET file handle in descriptor set

       look up corresponding function handler.

       Invoke handler

end for

}