[Live-devel] Once again, SDP support for Live555 & interaction with FFMpeg ...

Sandy Walsh swalsh at impathnetworks.com
Thu Aug 27 06:52:59 PDT 2009

Hi,

We have a multicast stream, initiated from another process, which
generates an .SDP file for the stream

v=0
o=MangoDSP 126 14843616424497153183 IN IP4 192.168.0.62
s=Mango DSP Audio/Video
m=video 7170 RTP/AVP 96
a=rtpmap:96 H264/90000
c=IN IP4 232.0.0.11
a=fmtp:96
packetization-mode=1;profile-level-id=42001E;sprop-parameter-sets=Z0KAHkLaAtD0QA==,aEjgGody
a=control:__StreamID=270385256

We've searched through the Live555 archives and there is mention of
passing this to MediaSession::createNew(), but we're sort of stumped on
making this a reality.

Instead let me explain what we hope to achieve and perhaps someone can
give some guidance?

Ultimately our plan is to pass the stream onto FFMpeg for
decoding/storage. When we try to open this stream directly with FFMpeg
it takes forever (and often never) for the program to lock onto the
stream, so perhaps there is a problem with ffmpeg and this h264 stream.
But, when we open a unicast stream with openRTSP and pipe the output to
ffmpeg it works fine.

My question is, what processing beyond the RTSP negotiation does
openRTSP do on the actual video stream? Does it strip off some network
wrapper from the stream and pass a raw h.264 stream along for processing?

We're not really clear what value openRTSP brings to us solving our
problem if we aren't using the RTSP handshake?

Sorry for the noobish question, hopefully it was understandable.

Thanks,
Sandy