[Live-devel] openRTSP 2x

Jeremy Noring jnoring at logitech.com
Mon Dec 21 08:28:43 PST 2009

2009/12/20 Němec Alexandr <a.nemec at atlas.cz>

> Dear all,
> I have two questions regarding openRTSP.
> 1. I have a H264 camera with built-in RTSP server (an IP camera) and I am
> using openRTSP to receive the video stream. It works nice, I can receive
> frames of type IDR slices and other coded slices. However, a standard H264
> also contains a SPS (sequence parameter set) NAL unit followed by a PPS
> (picture parameter set) NAL unit followed by the first IDR frame. The IP
> camera manufacturer confirmed that they include the SPS+PPS "header bytes"
> before the very first IDR frame and also before some later IDR frames at
> regular intervals. As I receive clean frames from live555 library without
> SPS+PPS I ust want to ask, if there is the possibility to somehow get these
> bytes, because I want to save them before the start of the stream. I tested
> the incoming frames and the first byte tells me, that the frames are clean
> IDR slices and other coded slices (NAL unit types 5 and 1). The SPS and PPS
> "header bytes" are missing.

They should be populating the sprop-parameter-sets parameter in the SDP
exchange with the SPS/PPS info (see RFC3984).  Sending the info in-stream is
not recommended and makes writing a decent client more difficult.  Check the
SDP exchange to see if they are correctly setting this; you should see
someting like:

sprop-parameter-sets=Z0IACpZTBYmI,aMljiA==
...the SPS and PPS info are base-64 encoded, and delimited with a comma.

> 2. Is there a way to set a custom timeout value for the RTSP client that
> the client would use for each command like PLAY, TEARDOWN or OPTIONS? I
> would like to be able to change the timeout and to force the RTSP client to
> complete a method master when the RTSP server is unavailable. I searched the
> code and found some timeout parameters, but I am not sure that I am doing
> the right thing.
> Thanks very much in advance
> Alex

See the source code to openRTSP (and specifically, the method calls on RTSPc
lient); there are several timeouts you can specify.