[Live-devel] OpenRTSP w/ Axis 207 series cameras: AAC issue

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 3 18:06:38 PST 2009

>I am experimenting with receiving streamed data from Axis 207W
>cameras using (a modified version of) the openRTSP utility, and is
>confronted with the following issue. When I use the -q option to
>receive a quicktime file, I can later use the ffmpeg avcodec
>libraries to read packets and decode the audio and video streams.
>However, when I just save the raw streamed data into separate video
>and audio elementary streams, I cannot decode the AAC audio stream
>anymore.

The output file contains raw AAC audio data - the exact same data
that was sent within the RTP packets.  There is nothing wrong with
this data, and audio decoders can be used to decode it as it arrives
(note, for example, VLC, which does this).

However, a media player might not be able to play the data when it is
read from a file.  If this is the case, then this is a problem with
the media player, not our software.