[Live-devel] Making RTSP commands work when streaming RTP over TCP

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Thu Feb 12 10:28:55 PST 2009

Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> So while I debate the merits of changing RTSPClient I went ahead and
>> with my original idea of creating a second TCP connection once the
>> first is taken over for streaming and by golly it works (with the
>> server mods I mentioned before).  I don't have all the kinks and
>> corner cases worked out yet but it does work. Would this be something
>> you'd want to have in the library.
>
> At some point soon I'll be making major changes to the "RTSPClient"
> implementation (primarily to make it do asynchronous socket reads, in
> line with most of the rest of the code, but perhaps addressing the
> RTSP/RTP-over-TCP issue as well).  Until that time, I don't plan on
> accepting any patches to this code (except for simple, obvious bug
> fixes).

Totally understandable. In the mean time to make RTP over TCP work in my
limited closed world application I'll subclass RTSPClient to implement
my second TCP socket approach and move on.
I'll keep an eye out for your changes of RTSPClient. Let me know if
there is anything I can do to get the standardized RTP over TCP working.

At some point I'd like to provide you with a patch for my server changes
to allow non-persistent RTSP connections as I think it has good
application beyond this problem (notably with unreliable network
connections, i.e. cell and SAT networks).

Thanks
Matt S.