[Live-devel] Membership Report

Rawling, Stuart SRawling at pelco.com
Fri Feb 13 06:29:46 PST 2009

They are the IGMP messages sent to join the multicast group the server will
be sending to, which in this case seems to be 228.67.43.91.

On most decent (and properly configured) pieces of network hardware you have
to join the group in order to receive packets sent to the multicast address.
These messages are required for multicast, but not for unicast, so if you
configure your server to stream unicast these messages should not appear.

For more information see:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2236>

Stuart

On 2/13/09 4:31 AM, "Wouter Dhondt" <wouter.dhondt at vsk.be> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> While tracing a stream using wireshark I noticed the following packets
> sent from the client between a describe and setup:
>
> Destination 224.0.0.22 IGMP V3 Membership Report
> Destination 228.67.43.91 UDP Source port: 15947 Destination port: 15947
> Destination 224.0.0.22 IGMP V3 Membership Report
>
> Can anyone tell me what these are for? Can we disable them?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Wouter Dhondt

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this transmission is legally privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entities named above. This email and any files transmitted with it are the property of Pelco. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone call to +1-559-292-1981 or forward the e-mail to administrator at pelco.com and then permanently delete the e-mail and destroy all soft and hard copies of the message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation.