[Live-devel] Some kind of live file streaming in MediaServer

Alexander berechitai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:59:50 PST 2009

But the problem is that 'live source'. It should be possible to stream live,
for example, into named pipe to be streamed by your server to end users.
When server do not request data, the 'live' source emulator should skip as
much file data as much time passed (according to file's bit rate). So, the
emulator should parse TS container itself. But this duplicates your server's
functionality!
I am absolutely sure, that your server could emulate live source with only
few modifications.

Similar functionality presents in Microsoft Windows Media Services. It can
create broadcast publishing points on RTSP/HTTP server. These points use
file playlists. When a publishing point is started by administrator,
playlist plays virtually even if no one is connected.