[Live-devel] Change to 'trick play' Transport Stream generation - reduces output bit rate

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Feb 23 02:20:33 PST 2009

Some people have reported having problems with 'trick play'
operations on Transport Streams, due to the high bitrate of the
'trick play' output streams.

By popular demand, I have now released a new version (2009.02.23) of
the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software that changes the way that
Transport Streams are generated for 'trick play' operations
(fast-forward or reverse play).  Now, each I-frame (i.e., key frame)
appears no more than once in the output Transport Stream for 'trick
play' operations.  This will have the effect of reducing the average
output bitrate for 'trick play' streams, except for high 'scale'
values.

For those of you who have been having problems with the high bit rate
of 'trick play' Transport Stream data - please try this new code, and
let us know if this new version of the code improves things.  Note
that because these changes are experimental, I have not yet changed
the prebuilt binary versions of the "LIVE555 Media Server"
application - therefore, if you use this application, you will need
to build your own version from the new source code.

If - for whatever reason - you wish to go back to the old behavior
(in which we always keep the original frame rate, even if it means
duplicating I-frames), then you can do so by changing the definition
of "KEEP_ORIGINAL_FRAME_RATE" in
"liveMedia/MPEG2TransportStreamTrickModeFilter.cpp" to "True".
However, if you find you need to do this, please let us know why.
This change to the code is experimental, and I will back it out if
people end up having problems with it.