[Live-devel] Live 555 multi-thread support

Jerry Johns Jerry.Johns at nuvation.com
Thu Jul 9 13:27:21 PDT 2009

In my initial investigations with LiveMedia 2 years ago, I had noticed
that putting it as the highest priority thread ended up chewing a lot of
CPU cycles, and potentially starving other threads as well (embedded
Linux, 2.6.10) - the solution was to relegate to being the lowest
priority thread in my system, in which case it performed just fine.

This might have changed with the latest LiveMedia libraries -
theoretically, the select() should prevent idle busy looping situations
in the thread, but what might have been happening might be repeated
scheduling by a certain class(s) with short periods of cycle time.

Jerry Johns
Design Engineer
Nuvation Research Corp - Canada
Tel: (519) 746-2304 ext. 221