[Live-devel] Select() Delay

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jun 14 02:28:35 PDT 2009

>Hi Everyone
>  I am a graduate student at the University of Southern California and
>a mentor to an undergraduate robotics team. Every year we build an
>autonomous submarine to compete in an obstacle course style
>competition in San Diego.  In this year's submarine, we are using some
>RTSP IP cameras along with the Live555 library to grab images
>underwater, but we are having some strange problems.  The library
>works wonderfully on our lab computers (64-bit Mandriva Linux) but
>when run on the actual submarine (32-bit Ubuntu Linux) we getting
>large delays, and eventually complete hangups at the call to
>select(...) on line 70 of BasicTaskScheduler::SingleStep(...). Does
>anyone have any suggestions as to where to start digging here?

Not really, except to say that you should try - as much as possible -
to minimize the differences between the system that works and the
system that doesn't, until you can get the smallest change that
causes the problem.

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps
you're using RTP-over-TCP (are you?), and that you're seeing (perhaps
due to packet loss) an excessive delay on your TCP connection?  If
that's the case, then you should not use RTP-over-TCP; use
RTP-over-UDP instead.