[Live-devel] streaming H264 unicast to multiple clients with same source

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jun 19 08:33:33 PDT 2009

>2. When I set the resuseFirstsource variable to be true, I find that
>only the first client is able to render the stream on VLC. The other
>clients do get connected and I saw that the stream state gets
>changed to playing for the subsequent clients, yet I am not able to
>view the stream. However when its false, I can connect multiple
>clients and all clients open the file handles accordingly.

Note that the "reuseFirstSource" variable should be set to True only
if you want to open the input source object only once, even if
multiple clients are simultaeously accessing the stream.  I.e., you
usually set it to True only if your input source is a live stream
(e.g., from a video camera), because in this case, you want each
client to be fed from the single input source.

However, if you are streaming 'video on demand' - e.g., from files -
where you want each client to get its own copy of the input (starting
from the beginning), then you should set "reuseFirstSource" to False.

Even if you are streaming the *same* file to multiple clients, then
you should set "reuseFirstSource" to False, because in this case you
still want each client's stream to start from the beginning of the
file (i.e., you want the input file to be opened separately for each
client).