[Live-devel] Control Flow Basics

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 30 11:15:00 PDT 2009

>So, what is confusing to me is that in the first question, data
>flows from source to sink (which is what I would expect), yet the
>second question suggests that data is transmitted by a sink and
>received by a source (which is counterintuitive).

Jeff,

Note the last paragraph in
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#control-flow :
"Note that the flow of data from 'sources' to 'sinks' happens within
each application, and doesn't necessarily correspond to the sending
or receiving of network packets. For example, a server application
(such as "testMP3Streamer") that sends RTP packets will do so using
one or more "RTPSink" modules. These "RTPSink" modules receive data
from other, "*Source" modules (e.g., to read data from a file), and,
as a side effect, transmit RTP packets. "

For streaming H.164 video, see
http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#h264-streaming
You will need to write a 'source' class (i.e., a subclass of
"FramedSource") that encapsulates your source of  H.264 NAL units.
You will then feed this into a subclass of "H264VideoStreamFramer" -
that you will write.  (In particular, this subclass must implement
the "doGetNextFrame()" and "currentNALUnitEndsAccessUnit() " virtual
functions.