[Live-devel] Control Flow Basics

Bonta Jeffrey-QA2122 Jeff.Bonta at motorola.com
Tue Jun 30 07:11:57 PDT 2009

I am trying to wade through the source code to understand how to modify
it to stream an H.264 AVC NAL stream over RTP.

In looking at the FAQ questions, I am a little confused by some of the
terminology.

For example, in the question:

What is the typical control flow within an application that uses these
libraries...?, the answer states:

Data passes through a chain of 'source's and 'sink's - e.g.,

    'source1' -> 'source2' (a filter) -> 'source3' (a filter) -> 'sink'

But in the question:

Can I stream H.264 video via RTP?, the answer states:

Yes, the library supports both the transmission (using
"H264VideoRTPSink") and reception (using "H264VideoRTPSource") of H.264
RTP streams.

So, what is confusing to me is that in the first question, data flows
from source to sink (which is what I would expect), yet the second
question suggests that data is transmitted by a sink and received by a
source (which is counterintuitive).

Please help me understand this basic concept behind the live555 source
code design.

Thanks much.

Jeff