[Live-devel] Can someone please explain the control flow?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Mar 1 21:47:19 PST 2009

>Can someone please explain the control flow from a source to a sink,
>i.e. where, exactly, should the
>"meat" of the program go?

You can use one of the existing demo applications (in the 'testProgs"
directory) as a model.  If you want to stream using multicast, use
one of the "test*Streamer" applications as a model.  If you want to
stream unicast on-demand, use "testOnDemandRTSPServer" as a model.

To understand how an application that uses this library works, you
need to understand event-driven programming, and, in particular, the
concept of an event loop.  'Control flow' is not really the right way
to think about such applications.

>What functions do I need to add to the h264 stub?

Search for "H.264" in the FAQ.

>  Do I need to create a
>new source to enclose my codec (DeviceSource)?

Yes.  You can use the "DeviceSource.cpp" code as a model.