[Live-devel] Live555 RTSP Client never sees RTCP BYE message from Live555 Server

Matt Schuckmann matt at schuckmannacres.com
Tue Mar 10 11:21:40 PDT 2009

Ok, I'm feeling better now and I've determined that the server is
attempting to send the RTCP BYE packet in the RTCPInstance destructor
but by that time all the destinations have been removed from the
GroupSocket so no data is actually sent (I've confirmed this with
WireShark).

I had thought that the client could use the receipt of the BYE packet,
for each stream, from the server as a signal that the session had been
closed (either the video ended or the server had force-ably closed the
session (my UI supports this) and the client could clean up and notify
the user appropriately.
Now I'm not so sure anymore.

I did find a reference on the forums that the server will send the BYE
packet if the source supports seeking. Why can't it send the BYE packet
when the session is ending too? Seems like it would be the right thing
to do.

The shutdown code for the streams is very confusing and I'm not sure how
to proceed to get things working the way I'd like, can you make any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Matt S.