[Live-devel] my performance benchmark of livemedia library, not satisfactory

liu yang yangliu.seu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 02:28:25 PDT 2009

Hi,
I plan to develop an application which may support 500+ or even 1000+
rtp session simultaneously. So anybody could tell me whether livemedia
could support such load?
BTW, I did some test based on testWAV sample program. The result is
not satisfactory, frankly speaking.
FAQ told me livemedia is a single threaded framework, which all logics
are processed in single thread sequentially.

Below is my test statistics.

Hardware :
Intel Celeron 2G + 1G memory

Scenario:
Streaming one wave file to one external IP which is of the same subnet
of test box with 100 instances ( 100 RTPSource, 100 RTPSink, 1
TaskSchedule, 1 Environment )

Result:
CPU usage : ~30%
Avg Jitter: ~30ms

Besides those criteria, I also saw significant packet loss.

So do you have any insightful thoughts of where we can optimize to
enhance livemeida as a high-performance rtp streaming stack which
could undergo heavy load.

Thanks

Kandy