[Live-devel] my performance benchmark of livemedia library, not satisfactory

Marco Amadori amadorim at vdavda.com
Wed Mar 11 03:31:39 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, 10:28:25, liu yang wrote:

> I plan to develop an application which may support 500+ or even 1000+
> rtp session simultaneously. So anybody could tell me whether livemedia
> could support such load?
> BTW, I did some test based on testWAV sample program. The result is
> not satisfactory, frankly speaking.

On a bigger machine (dual xeon) with 6 raid5 15K SAS disks streaming 4mbits
MPEG2 ts I found that I could not stream more than 95 streams without
artifacts on screen.

My bold analisys (on a early 2008 release of livemedia) was that the problem
wasn't IO bound but CPU bound (95%+). Also the network (400Mbps) wasn't
problematic since we had tried both a single gigabit and a bonding of 4
interfaces sawing both server and router side very little load.

But I just did a quick analisys, so I could be enterely wrong or misleaded.

> FAQ told me livemedia is a single threaded framework, which all logics
> are processed in single thread sequentially.

This could be a problem (a known one) in our case since multiple Xeon cores
and CPUs was not used. Launching another session of live555MediaServer helper
in adding another 95 streams to our tests.. so this could be a hint for
looking for optimization interventions. Do some profiling and if some
computation effort is really needed, parallelize the code as possible in
order to use multiples cores/CPUs.

> So do you have any insightful thoughts of where we can optimize to
> enhance livemeida as a high-performance rtp streaming stack which
> could undergo heavy load.

This is of real interest to me too.

--
ESC:wq