[Live-devel] Compiling on solaris 64 bit -maybe fixed

Michael Skaastrup msn at conecom.dk
Thu Mar 26 01:02:10 PDT 2009

tir, 24 03 2009 kl. 14:44 -0700, skrev Ross Finlayson:

> >Figured it out. I am attaching the config.solaris inline. I've just
> >added -m64 three places to instruct compiler and linker to make 64
> >bit files.
>
> Thanks.
>
> One question, though: What happens if someone uses this new
> "config.solaris" to compile/link an application on (and for) a 32-bit
> Solaris system.  Will the resulting binary still run OK?

Hello

Sorry for the delay, had some work to do ;-)

A 64 bit binary cannot run on a 32 bit solaris as far as I know, so
better make a config.solaris64

On the project I worked on i made som load tests. This on a ferry which
has been converted to a floating hotel with 88 cabins.

I tested live555server successfully with 40 simultaneous clients.
Showing different MPEG2 ts files ripped from DVD's.

The server seems sigle threaded and connections maxes out at about 45
clients connecting to 5 different MPEGs.

So I started another instance which listens on port 8554 as the code
defaults to. Cool. Another 45 clients I thought. But sadly the server
maxed out at about 60 clients. Still 28 from the teoretical max.

So the question is. Are there any other tricks I could use?

The system is a Quad core AMD 2,5 GHz, 8 GB RAM and 14 SAS disks on ZFS.

> Or should there be two config files for Solaris:
> "config.solaris-32bit" and "config.solaris-64bit"?  Please let me
> know, so I can make the appropriate changes for the next release of
> the software.

Venlig hilsen

Michael Skaastrup           Web:www.conecom.dk

Systemkonsulent                   Email: msn at conecom.dk
Con E Com A/S                      Tlf: 36 93 25 57
Hjallesegade 45                     Mob: +45 20 31 41 90
5260 Odense S

Tlf: +45 70 11 20 19

Fax: +45 70 11 20 18

Vi gør opmærksom på, at denne e-mail kan indeholde fortrolig
information. Hvis du ved en fejltagelse modtager e-mailen, beder vi dig
venligst informere afsender om fejlen ved at bruge svar-funktionen.
Samtidig beder vi dig slette e-mailen i dit system uden at videresende
eller kopiere den.
Selv om e-mailen og ethvert vedhæftet bilag efter vores overbevisning er
fri for virus og andre fejl, som kan påvirke computeren eller
it-systemet, hvori den modtages og læses, åbnes den på modtagerens eget
ansvar. Vi påtager os ikke noget ansvar for tab og skade, som er opstået
i forbindelse med at modtage og bruge e-mailen.
Please note that this message may contain confidential information. If
you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender of
the mistake by sending a reply, then delete the message from your system
without making, distributing or retaining any copies of it.
Although we believe that the message and any attachments are free from
viruses and other errors that might affect the computer or IT system
where it is received and read, the recipient opens the message at his or
her own risk. We assume no responsibility for any loss or damage arising
from the receipt or use of this message.