[Live-devel] RTSP Streaming Playback in QuickTime

Ganesh V ganesh_vijayan at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 02:04:47 PDT 2009

Hello Ross,

Many thanks for your pointer. I enabled debug and retried my experiments with VLC, QT and Windows Media Player. From the logs, I observed the following.

After connection is setup,
- both VLC and QT send DESCRIBE command with bytes and parseRTSPRequestString returns DESCRIBE command name.
- After this stage, both VLC and QT are able to sent SETUP command which is also serviced successfully
- After setup, PLAY is also serviced successfully for both the players. At the end of this stage, RTP info in URL is passed successfully from RTSPServer.
- After this stage, VLC is able to play the stream without any issues. But, in case of QT, I observed that QT sends "0" bytes and terminates the connection. After the same, QT sends a GET command with HTTP/1.0 to Live555MediaServer.
- Because the incoming protocol type is HTTP, parseRTSPRequestString() failed and hence, Bad Request Message is observed in QT.

The same issue is observed when I try playing the streaming data using Windows Media Player too. I have attached the log in case of QT player.

Is this a known defect with QT or am I missing some parameter or initialization? Another interesting issue I observed was that one version of QT detected the frame width and height, but was unable to display the decoded data.

Do I need to invoke or modify any call in case of QT/ Windows Media Player? I assume that the current failure is due to the incoming request type to be HTTP. How do I overcome the same?

Thanks,
Ganesh