[Live-devel] Meadia Server on VS 2005 or 2008

Patrick White patbob at imoveinc.com
Thu May 28 09:46:46 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 11:21 am, Jeremy Noring wrote:
> If I have time, I may try to do this today, since I need this sort of
> functionality for debugging symbols, debug/release builds, x64 support,
> integration into our project, etc.  I'll let you know if I have any
> success.

We needed the same thing, and found a way to generate the PDB files as live555
builds.  Unfortunately, it required mods to the shared build files.

Basically, the changes were:

*) add something like "/Fd$(LIBNAME)D.pdb" to the COMPILE_OPTS in the
win32config file.  We made two win32config files -- one that's used for
release and doesn't have the option (because we don't want/need PDB files for
release builds) and one for debug that does include it.

*) Modify Makefile.head in each project to set a LIBNAME variable to the name
of the library being generated.  Here's an example from the groupsock
project:
LIBNAME=libgroupsock

Recompile and you'll get PDB files generated next to the libraries.  We move
them all into a libs directory for convenience.

*) To use them, I ended up copying them into the dir where we have the
compiler put all the generated DLLs, libs and EXEs.

What I found was that the PDB files could not be renamed.  They could be
moved, but must remain by their original name in oprder for Visual Studio to
be able to use them.  That's why I had to modify the Makefile.head files to
have a different LIBNAME in each -- I couldn't generate the PDB files by the
same name for each project and later rename them, and there seemed to be no
other place to quickly and easily get the lib name from.  The "D" on the end
of the PDB file name is not really needed, its an artifact of our dev
procedures.

hope that helps,
patbob